Posted to alt.home.repair
Proctologically Violated©® Proctologically Violated©® is offline

Default Microwave oven catches on fire. Repairable?

Well, I think the only thing you can do is turn this into a game, and mebbe
make some money:
Take bets on just how long this oven will last--2 bangs, 5 bangs, 10
bangs....

Clearly you don't want to walk away from this thing while it's on. In fact,
you might just want to unplug it when not in use.
If it were me, I would do as I just said, and use it under a watchful eye,
and start shopping for a replacement now.

It might could be that in some previous use, food "exploded" into some
internal connection, and it occasionally burns off, energetically.
The only solution is to take the whole thing apart, clean what's dirty,
mebbe pull/re-seat the magnetron etc.

Either way, you got a crap shoot on yer hands.
I would take it apart, as I think it might be inneresting, and imo you
really don't have much to lose.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a small problem with my Samsung microwave where it occasionally
catches on fire. It last occurred when I was heating 2T of margarine
in a cup. I heard a bang, then saw the fire coming from behind a cover
which is presumably where the magnetron tube is. But I have used the
oven since, and it is still working fine. This same sudden fire
problem occurred many months before, where again, the oven worked fine
afterward. I have melted margarine like this many times since and used
the oven many times during those months, so I don't know why all of a
sudden it decides to go pyro on me.

That's the basis of my query: Can anyone tell me what might be causing
this, what to check and how to fix it so it doesn't happen again? I do
not want to risk fire when I am not around to monitor what's going on
with the oven, but at the same time, I do not want to replace it. I
have looked at getting another oven, but there's nothing that I like
as much as my Samsung. It has the size, the looks and the advanced
controls (ie. one touch, defrosting, etc) that I like.

This is a pic of what the damage looks like on the interior:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...mtxmvt&thumb=4

And one of the exterior:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.p...noyvgd&thumb=4