Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Duty life of chainsaws

"TonyM" tonym.le"at"comcast.net wrote in message
. ..
I was cutting up a downed Norway Maple this weekend and happened to
actually read the label on my Husky chainsaw and one statement caught my
eye. It has something called "Duty Cycle" listed. For this saw it is 50
hours. I went and looked at the POS Poulan I am trying to get rid of and
it's duty cycle is 20 hours. The Poulan actually broke after about 8 hours
but that is a whole other tale. I looked through the manual of both saws
trying to ascertain what the duty cycle is but found nothing. Am I to
assume this is the expected life of the saw? Or that it needs to be
overhauled at that point? How many hours do some of you have on your saws?
I gotta say I love the Husky and it is sooooo much better than the Poulan.
I'm just curious.

Service. After a couple dozen hours of use you want to give it a good
clean/oil/adjust/tighten cycle beyond keeping good chain sharpness, tension,
and a clean air filter . Plug is so cheap it doesn't pay not to change it
annually. If you start to have mixture symptoms, address them promptly or
risk burning out early.

I probably do that 20 operating hour "duty cycle" every year on my winter's
wood, with fifteen years of the same on the old one before losing the
magneto, ten on this Stihl so far.