Posted to rec.woodworking
alexy alexy is offline

Default BLO & Cherry

Bill Waller wrote:

I have just finished construction on my first real piece of "fine" furniture.
It is a small chest of drawers made of solid cherry.

Now begins the part of woodworking that I really do not enjoy: finishing.

I'm with you there!

My choices a
Shellac: This is what I have the most experience with and do not find to be
extremely problematic.

STOP! Why go any further? You've just given two excellent reasons for
using shellac, IMHO. Add to those that you can control color very well
through choices of shellac and use of transtint dyes, the finish is
repairable, it's quick, and if you want a film finish, nothing rubs
out to any nicer looking finish. I love shellac, and in your situation
would need a pretty compelling reason to consider other choices.
Examples might be need for better wear resistance, resistance to
liquid spills, or if I wanted a close-to-the-wood look.

Lacquer: I have done a little work with this medium and would apply several
coats over two coats of Sealcoat.

My experience here is limited to one project with Deft. Great result,
but hate the fumes.

Polyurethane: I have done a lot with Poly (brushed) and have had mixed results
. It is my least favorite finish to work with.

I'm with you there. Have pretty much sworn it off.

BLO: I have used boiled linseed oil on a couple of projects, but never on
something that would end up I the living room. Actually, I have never used it
on finely sanded wood. I know that the medium is rubbed on and that a number of
coats are require for a decent build up.

I've never used it to the point of getting build-up. I think it is a
very attractive finish for cherry, and I like the natural look. But
for a chest of drawers, I would prefer a film finish--just my
preference.
But when all is said and done, what kind of finfish does BLO provide?
What is the proper prep for BLO?
Does it buff out to a nice sheen?
How long does it take for the smell to go away?

I cannot smell the desk accessory I made a year ago. But I would never
put it anywhere that does not get good air circulation (like inside a
chest), because the time for the smell to go away may be measured in
generations of your descendants.
How durable is it?

Of course, I could always paint it pink.

Thanks for any serious advice.

One you left out is non-urethane varnishes, either alkyd or phenolic.
That might be a good choice for the chest, but NOT FOR YOU, since I
would never recommend learning a new finish on a serious project like
this. Another reason for liking shellac.

If I were doing this, I would probably use shellac on the whole piece
to do any subtle tinting I wanted, then finish with blond shellac on
the body and phenolic resin varnish (Waterlox high-gloss is the one I
am familiar with) on the top for durability. And being basically a
shellac man, I would be in agony waiting the 3-4 weeks for it to fully
cure before rubout.