Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Which angle grinder?

JoeJoe wrote:

Looking for one to cut a few (not many) relatively thin concrete slabs.
Never used or owned one before, so don't know what to look for. I thought
that a 4.5" would be ok (will it?), and just buy a big pack of stone cutting
disks from Screwfix - they look cheap enough.

Forget the stone cutting discs and go for a diamond blade. Faster cut,
less dust, and one will cut hundreds of slabs. With a big slab and
ordinary abrasive disks you may need more that one per slab!

Everything you need to know on cutting slabs:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/cut_in01.htm

(you can get diamond discs from eBay for peanuts)

About angle grinders:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/anglegrinder.htm

and about discs for them:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._Grinder_Discs

The ones below seem ok to me. Any recommendation? I suspect that once this
job is done I will not be using it for more than a couple of times a year.

With thin slabs you may be able to use a small grinder by making a
partial cut and then snapping the slab. If you want to make a full cut
(which sometimes you need to do on corners or notches etc) then a 230mm
machine is required.

If you want a "one off" tool, then even one of the cheapies will do
(although avoid the lowest of the low like Kinso (google this group to
see why!)). A £15 quid machine will see out 20 slabs.

Yup, lovely machine at the price, will last a lifetime... Nice
ergonomics as well, easy to use single handed when required. Will
survive being chocked up with masonry dust much better than the budget
tools.

Not much going for it compared to the above.

Fine, but again pricey compared to the Bosch. As a rule I would say
Bosch have the edge on grinders (over DeWalt) anyway.

Any tip will be much appreciated.

Treat with respect - they can bite! Use a mask and face shield (the
visor type is good), plus ear defenders.

If you use a 230mm grinder then spend a bit more a slightly better
machine and hang on tight. I have had many years faithful service from a
2kW Hitachi grinder that came with a diamond disc. Cost about £75 IIRC.

--
Cheers,

John.