Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack Jack is offline

Default Need some punching bag assistance

Even though the bag is 110 lbs, its going to 'jump' when you hit it. You
can put a heavy-bag spring between the bag chains and the connection to the
rafters, but in my experience, it doesn't help that much.
..
Mounting a heavy bag on the rafters seems to be the worse way to do this.
You get drywall cracks, and it shakes the whole house. I am only speaking
from experience. Trust me on the bag 'jumping'
..
I went with something like this http://www.ringside.com/DETAIL.ASPX?ID=24730
..
The thing is lagged into a concrete wall in the basement. No house
shaking at all. Or you could go with a free standing heavy bag hanger, but
those things take up a ton of room and are not that stable.

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
news
So I posted a little bit ago about hanging a punching bag from the
rafters. I have the bag on a fixture mounted to 2 rafter beams (the
rafters are roof trusses, 2x6's). The bag is a 110lb bag, hanging from an
eyebolt . The issue that I'm seeing is that when I punch the bag, the
whole ceiling is moving. I don't mean shifting off its mounts of course,
but rather I can see the ceiling drywall moving back and forth and rocking
in tempo with the bag.

snip