Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default BLO & Cherry

"Bill Waller" wrote in message
I have just finished construction on my first real piece of "fine"
furniture.
It is a small chest of drawers made of solid cherry.

Now begins the part of woodworking that I really do not enjoy: finishing.

My choices a
Shellac: This is what I have the most experience with and do not find to
be
extremely problematic.

Lacquer: I have done a little work with this medium and would apply
several
coats over two coats of Sealcoat.

Polyurethane: I have done a lot with Poly (brushed) and have had mixed
results
. It is my least favorite finish to work with.

BLO: I have used boiled linseed oil on a couple of projects, but never on
something that would end up I the living room. Actually, I have never used
it
on finely sanded wood. I know that the medium is rubbed on and that a
number of
coats are require for a decent build up.
But when all is said and done, what kind of finfish does BLO provide?
What is the proper prep for BLO?
Does it buff out to a nice sheen?
How long does it take for the smell to go away?
How durable is it?

Of course, I could always paint it pink.

Or encourage it to darken by applying a 50/50 coat of thinned BLO, followed
by a full-strength rubbed coat, then a wipe-on varnish featuring your
favorite resin. You could even build a surface finish farther if you care
to, but the coat of varnish should provide good basic water rejection help,
where the oil would still be vulnerable to water damage.

Smell's gone when the vehicle has evaporated. Open to the air, week or so.