Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Mac Disaster

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Stuart Noble" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On 2007-07-03 00:15:52 +0100, "clot" said:
In a less adversarial manner, I was hoping that I might make Andy
see that there are circumstances other than his own which might
make them make decisions that seem quite absurd to another person.
Oh don't misunderstand, I do.

I have simply sought to point out that in the purchasing of products
such as tools there are many potential factors, certainly not just
price or the rate of use.

In all, there are probably at least 10.

The marketing people would have consumers believe that price and
gimmicky features are important and not a lot more. Some
customers seem to be taken in by that.

I can quite appreciate that some people may not be in a financial
position to make choices based on all of the desirable criteria.
However, this does not mean that they can't or shouldn't look at
*all* of the factors.
It is that that the silly suggestions of "it's only for a bit of
DIY" (therefore any old crap will do as long as it's cheap) seek to
suggest that people limit their choices because they don't "need"
something better. The jigsaw is the classic eample of that.

But even there it's not as clear as you make out, it all depends on
what they will be doing, yes sure if they are budding (hobby)
furniture makers they are going to need at least a half decent tool
but if their DIY use of the jigsaw is going to be cutting out a hole
for the new sink the need for very precise control of the cut is some
what irrelevant.

snip
In the end, somebody may be totally constrained by budget and
genuinely only able to buy the lowest cost item. Then the question
should be one of does it make sense at all or is the result going to
be so bad that it's not worth spending even that.
snip

Again, it depends on what they will be doing, I really do think that
you are sometimes mistaking your hobby for another's necessity of
'doing it themselves' - what should they do in your idea of utopia,
spend even more and get a man in, simply because they can't afford a
half decent tool? Next you will be suggesting that people should walk
or spend even more money on using PT rather than own a car made by
Kia because they can't afford a Audi (or what ever)!

I have a Rolex watch which tells the time very well.

If clockwork it does not.

Of course, if one only needs to know when it's opening time, one might
get away with a sub £500 make. For most of my life I didn't know what
the time was at all, but I preferred to wait until I could buy the best

Rolex is not the best and are you from Essex? Get an elegant make - a
Longines.

I've got a few of those as well but the Rolex is champagne proof, an
important feature because that's what we fill our swimming pools with.