Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling fan advice

wrote in message

What we're trying to get away from is running a second, floor unit fan
in the same room as the ceiling fan. Our hope is that if we invest in
a better ceiling fan, we can eliminate the second fan in the room.
There are a few other reasons that we're looking to replace the
current unit, but air circulation is the primary one. The second
ceiling fan that we're replacing is the same type of fan and is
undersized for the room that it is in.

Along the same lines, though a window fan may be best. A good window fan,
not a $12 box fan, can draw the cooler night air in where it will pass
through the house and the hot air is being blown out at the same time.
Ceiling fans are good for circulating iar, but not for changing it. The
ceiling fan may make you feel two degrees cooler, but fresh air from the
otside can actually be 10 degrees cooler.

Consider a "whole house" fan also, drawing air in and blowing out hte attic
space. That also cools down that hot box for less heat to radiate down,
even through the insulation. When the bedroom is 85 and the outside is 65,
ceiling fans do nothing, as you are finding.