Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default patio misters

In article .com,
Pat wrote:

On Jul 2, 10:02 am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article om,

Pat wrote:
On Jul 1, 12:32 am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article om,

Pat wrote:
On Jun 30, 9:41 am, Smitty Two wrote:
I've been thinking about installing those little misters along the
perimeter of the patio awning. Supposedly you can get 20 degrees or
so
worth of evaporative cooling from them.

But a bit of googling disclosed that you can pay a couple thousand
dollars for a system. What's the difference between those, and the
fifty
dollar units at Home Depot? Seems like the expensive ones have a
separate pump to pressurize the water, and maybe the nozzles are a
little better made. Is that it?

Anyone with a cheapo have any feedback on how well they work and
whether
they last very long? Wonder how long it takes for the minerals in
the
water to clog the jets, etc.

Walmart has them for about 20 bucks. At that price, does it matter.
Give them a shot, what's the big deal.

Well, my time is worth *something.* I don't want to spend a day
installing them if they don't work.

A day? Looked like 15 minutes to me.

As Charles Winchester the Third remarked, I work slowly and meticulously.

It takes me an hour and a half just to prepare and drink two cups of
coffee in the morning. My toolbox consists of more than a staple gun and
a pair of channel lock pliers. Not everything I do is well-crafted, but
I always approach a project of any magnitude with that intention.
Wouldn't surprise me in the least if I ended up in the machine shop for
a few hours, fabricating custom brackets for a misting system based on
the peculiarities of the job site.

Call it a fault if you like.

Sound's like you need a hobby ;-) Or a couple of grandkids or
something.

The Wallyworld ones are all incorporated into a flexible pipe. You
could probably hold them up with bubble gum and hairspray. Hit a few
staples and be done. It might not be the perfect project, but it's a
good, cheap prototype.

Hobby is building an airplane. But you're onto something there with the
cheap, quick, and dirty approach just as a test. If the cooling is great
but the reliability and longevity isn't, at least it gives me
prototypical experience, as you say. But maybe I'll substitute the bent
nail and bread tie approach for your bubble gum and hairspray.