Posted to alt.home.repair
Proctologically Violated©® Proctologically Violated©® is offline

Default Another attic ventilation question

That's a big attic--is that the floor area, or the roof area (both faces)?

I have an attic of about that floor area, w/ a crappy mushroom fan. I
insulated between the joists w/ fiberglass, covered by 1/8" paneling, which
made all the difference in the world.
And, essentially no other venting. The teeny ones that were there were
covered, and instead I crack the attic door/ladder to vent the warm air
rising to the top floor from the house.
The fan is on a thermostat.

A small A/C, about 6,000 btu, makes the space entirely inhabitable in the
summer, ditto a small dehumidifier in the winter.
In the winter, I put a piece of paneling over the fan opening.

I personally don't understand the hyper-venting of attics. At least not in
the context of good insulation.

Insulation roolz.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"Jack" wrote in message
news
I have a hip-roof colonial. The attic is about 1100 sq ft. There is a
ridge vent across the top of the roof, plus soffit venting all the way
around. In the attic, there is a heating/cooling system. During the
summer, it gets unbelievably hot, which really affects the cooling ability
of the system.
.
I have googled this issue, and it seems that power roof vents are not the
way to go to lower the temperature. If I can't use a power vent, what are
the options ?
.
Thank you for your time.