Posted to alt.home.repair
LoneStar LoneStar is offline

Default Long term Ni-Cad Battery storage...

Thanks to the both of your for your replies. On the first reply, I can't
just sell the battery -- no buyers around here for anything. I'll just do
as Jim says: store the uncharged battery till needed. However, this time,
I'm going to use the primary battery until it's fully discharged, then fully
charge it, every time! In the past, my mistake was to charge after each
use, whether it needed it or not. The so-called "memory effect."

Thanks.

EW

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"LoneStar" wrote in
reenews.net:

I recently purchased a fine cordless drill which came with a spare 18
volt Ni-Cad battery. I won't be using the spare for a LONG time -- I
plan to use the primary battery till it dies, then use the spare.
Question: what's the best way to store it? In refrigerator,
discharged, fully charged, freezer, or what? I've had bad luck with
these kind of batteries in recent years. It seems I "kill" them after
a year's usage. Perhaps I don't charge/discharge properly.

Anyway, how do I store the spare for a year or two? Thanks.

EW

if you have not charged the spare yet,don't.
IMO,NiCds store best if never charged.

If you already have charged it,then you have to recharge it
periodically.Manner of storage is not going to matter much.

DONT freeze the pack!!

NiCds last best if used frequently,and then fast charged promptly.
Fast=1 hr

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik