Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Witczak Mark Witczak is offline

Default Toy 12V motor replacement source???

It's a really simple setup (no electronics beyond switches) in this toy,
I don't see any fuses in the wiring. Also, I tried to connect the motor
directly to the 12V battery with no result.

I've searched the web for DC motors and it's been really difficult
finding any supplier that understands the product. Either I get a hobby
shop that doesn't know what it's selling or they're manufacturers of
industrial stepper motors with no desire to talk to me.

So once again, can anyone point me to a retailer of DC motors for 6-12V
applications. Or a vendor that is not afraid to tell me what
model/manufacturer is used for the replacement motors.

Thanks,
Mark

Chris Jones wrote:
wrote:

I got a really good deal (FREE) on a Mattel ride on Caterpillar dump
truck for my son at a garage sale. It had no markings or battery, so I
popped in a 12V motorcycle battery. When I switched it on, I heard two
pops from the back of the vehicle. I think that I burned out both
motors. So now I'm looking for replacements.

Since my quest began, I've learned that this toy takes a 6V battery to
drive both motors. I guess this explains the "pop" sound and confirms
my theory of the motors being blown.

The local repair shop wants $20 each and $100 to install them, which
is way more than the toy is worth--new. Does anyone know how I can buy
these myself? The shop wouldn't tell me anything.

Thanks for all the help.

Mark

The motors are probably still OK, more likely it's some of the control
electronics that is fried. As one of the other posters suggested, try
testing the motors directly on the battery, with the control electronics
disconnected.

Chris