Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Charles Charles is offline

Default Zener Diode higher voltage at other disconnected end?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Im confused. I was operating on a KOSS DVD player and found a
defective +5V supply. Just before the +5v output pin, there was a
diode (unknown exact type) I measured the voltage at the supply side
of the Diode and it read +5V and on the "output" pin side that was NOT
connected to anything I read +22V. How the heck is that?
At any rate, I removed the diode from the circuit, and now I have the
+5V back. All is not perfect however, the DVD player shuts off every
hour or so now.
My questions are
1) what do you think that diode was for.
2) why is it possible that I got a higher (much) voltage on the other
side of the diode when it was not connected to anything.

A shunt regulator circuit is a series resistor and shunt zener. A higher
voltage is normal on the input to a shunt regulator (before the resistor).
Removing the zener would normally result in a higher output voltage. I too
am confused.