Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Maxprop Maxprop is offline

Default Native Timber Selection

"George" wrote in message
et...

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...
A lot of my problems with oak undoubtedly deal with my relative
inexperience. I've been turing about two years and have a lot to learn
about the process.

You grow in your turning the same way you grow elsewhere, through
challenges. Though I'm puzzled at the alleged difficulties with turning
oak - drying another matter - I will say it's less forgiving of poor
technique than other woods with uniform density. Now you've grown into
the hobby a bit, have another go.

More recently it's been a lesson in avoidance. My earlier attempts to turn
smaller oak--white or red--forms was fraught with tearouts for which I had
no explanation. My tools were sharp, I was approaching the wood very
cautiously and correctly (to the best of my knowledge at the time), and the
rotational speed was appropriate. Of course the tearouts seemed to occur
near the end point of the turning tasks, which amplified the frustration
factor. So I pretty much gave it up for easier-to-turn species. In all
honestly I don't miss oak at all. I turned a small bowl--candy dish--for a
friend who received it in a rather lackluster manner. After recovering from
my injured pride, I turned her one of rather colorful tulip wood, which she
received rather enthusiastically. Another nail in the oaken coffin.

Max