Posted to uk.d-i-y
clot clot is offline

Default Mac Disaster

:Jerry: wrote:
"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On 2007-07-02 23:06:04 +0100, ":Jerry:"
said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
snip

This was partly my point. If you are going to go to the trouble
of laying a floor requiring significant labour input, you might as
well do so with good materials. Otherwise it's the same false
economy as cheap wallpaper.

Not if it gives a couple of years (or more, laminate looks crap but
is
hard wearing) and it would have meant living in a '**** hole' for
even
longer

What nutty logic. There is something very wrong with a scale of
values that suggests that putting down crappy flooring just for a
couple of years. Better to wait and buy something better. The
problem is really that people expect instant results and aren't
willing to wait.

So they should have bare concrete or bare (possibly splintered)
boards, probably with young kids around? Sorry yours is the nutty
logic.

, sorry Andy but you are obviously completely out of touch with
the reality that many live

Oh, I'm very in touch with it. I began with very little indeed. The
difference is that I did what was required to change it - tough
decisions, taking calculated risks, sheer hard work and with
socially inconvenient arrangements and waiting to obtain the right
things. Some people feel that a 40 hour working week, going to the
pub and to football on Saturdays is where things are. For them it
may be. I don't recall ever having a 40 hr a week job.

You were saying?

You've lost touch with reality. It doesn't matter a toss were you (or
anyone else) has came from, it's were you are and what you think now
that matters.

- just as you fail to understand that (IMO)
most people are doing DIY not as a hobby but as a necessity to get
an
affordable, half decent home.

Of course. However, that does not mean that the standard of the
results has to be compromised by poor purchasing decisions.

But that is all governed by the budget available, now you might be
able to blow, what for some is the entire budget, on power tools or a
(relatively) expencive flooring but many can't and it's ****ing
patronising for you to suggest that because they won't wait with bare
floors they are making poor purchasing decisions - next you'll be
suggesting people live in tents until they can afford their own
Mansion, talk about mutterings of "Well can't they eat cake?"...

In a less adversarial manner, I was hoping that I might make Andy see
that there are circumstances other than his own which might make them
make decisions that seem quite absurd to another person.