Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Long term Ni-Cad Battery storage...

On Jul 2, 4:43 pm, "LoneStar" wrote:
I recently purchased a fine cordless drill which came with a spare 18 volt
Ni-Cad battery. I won't be using the spare for a LONG time -- I plan to use
the primary battery till it dies, then use the spare. Question: what's the
best way to store it? In refrigerator, discharged, fully charged, freezer,
or what? I've had bad luck with these kind of batteries in recent years.
It seems I "kill" them after a year's usage. Perhaps I don't
charge/discharge properly.

Anyway, how do I store the spare for a year or two? Thanks.

Sell the battery and buy a new one when you need it. Otherwise
alternate using both batteries so you'll always have a charged one on
hand. NiCads lose their charge just sitting there. Roughly a month
and thing is totally dead.