Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

In article .com,
wrote:
Who cares? I unplug and plug in items that are turned on all the time,
worst case you get a little spark, it doesn't cause any problems. It's
not hot enough to pit the plug prongs or contacts.

Its well known that repeated small sparks make a total mess of the
contact surface. This was one of the problems of our olf round pin
system half a century ago.

You'd have to explain that. Most of the old round pin sockets were
switched - unswitched was a short lived fashion with 13 amp stuff. At
least in my experience.

The old round pin sockets were far more likely to be overloaded, though.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.