Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 07:26:03 -0700, wrote:

On 2 Jul, 03:59, John Larkin
wrote:

lethal. Chewing on cords, especially by pets, is a more serious
hazard, and 240 is a lot worse than 120 there.

Dont think I've ever seen pet chewed cords here, maybe different
checmicals get used in the plastic or something.

My cats love our Apple products, which have soft vinyl cords. They
won't touch my Intel-based systems. Smart cats, no?

120 0r 240 would kill either way.

240 is much more likely to kill.

I don't have access to the statistics, but I really doubt that the
American plug/socket combo is a significant source of fires.

John

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freea...rnumber=148498

It's not clear that the paper is relevant, and I'm not going to buy it
to find out. Having designed equipment with, likely, a few million
1-amp-and-up connections, and no meltdowns much less fires so far, I'm
skeptical. And a US electrical plug is hardly "a current-carrying
loose copper wire connection."

John