Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Ceiling fan advice

On 2 Jul, 09:51, Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 06:12:39 -0700, wrote:
We have two ceiling fans in two bedrooms that were installed in our
house before we moved in and they just do not do a very good job of
circulating air. I've read a little about the strengths of various
types of fans and how fin angle, number of fins (4 is better than 5,
but more difficult to balance) and a strong motor all play a role in
getting good circulation.

However, when shopping at the local home store, fin angle and motor
strength is nowhere to be found on the boxes and the "Hunter's" were
mixed in with the "Harbor Breeze" models.

So I'd like some advice in choosing a fan. We're not too concerned
with design...the fans will be mounted over beds with 8 ft ceilings,
white or wood is fine, but we do value strong circulation. I'm not
concerned whether or not it has a remote control or not.

We do not have air conditioning, except for a window unit.

Are three fin fans better than four if the motor is adequate?

If I go to the manufacturer's site to get motor specs, what is
considered an adequate or "strong" motor for a house fan?

What brands should we consider, or not consider (i.e., I've read good
things about Hunter's, but someone mentioned to me that Hampton Bay's
are re-branded Hunter's, any luck with Harbor Breeze's)?

Are there significant price points that cross the boundaries of "do
not buy because it's probably junk," through "very functional at this
level, the next step up begins the line of the bells and whistles and
gadgets"?

Thank you,
Dave

-- No fan works really well if it's flush mounted.

Just to back up what the Plow Man says, check out this site:

http://www.hansenwholesale.com/ceilingfans/bestfans.asp