Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

On 2 jul, 03:36, "James Sweet" wrote:

Some equipment simply has no off switch..

Who cares? I unplug and plug in items that are turned on all the time, worst
case you get a little spark, it doesn't cause any problems. It's not hot
enough to pit the plug prongs or contacts.

may not seem so at first, but this will damage the contacts and lead
to the formation of carbonised areas. And more noticeable stateside
what with the limited 'actual' contact area between the US plugs and
sockets - I would avoid plugging in or removing plugs of live
equipment for reliability reasons.

-B