Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Why does my HOT blow every 2-3 months??

tem00 wrote:

I have a Toshiba 65H80 that I replaced the normal HOT section stuff
including the flyback, some caps, cap block (splitter) and of course
the HOT, etc. etc.

It works good about 3 months and blows again. I replace the HOT,
works for another 3 months.

B+ seems right.

Is there anything else that is a common failure point for HOTs that
I'm overlooking?

Thanks

tem00

Hmm, maybe you're using incorrect rated HOTranny ?

are you putting on heat sink compound?.

are you getting the exact replacement ?

is it possible it was replaced before by some one else
that may have used a different number ? something they had
lying around..

also, You may want to test for the load current in the B+
line, it could be exceeding and the regulator could be driving
the HOT harder to keep it stable. I've seen C+ taps from the HOT
have leaky caps for lower voltage supplied derived from the HOTxformer.
etc.. This would cause the flyback to work harder.
Also, improper adjustments to the screen controls could cause the
flyback to run hotter along etc...
theirs a lot of variables here.

You may also want to test the input to the HOTransistor with a
scope to see if you're getting full on/off input drive and don't
have some constant DC there driving the base.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5