Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Plumbing access through top of tub surround?

Mike,

You mention it's an alcove. What's on the two end walls? Could you
put an access panel on the back side of one of the end walls?

One wall has the master bedroom, the other has the water closet.
Access panel wouldn't look good.

Could you make the entire back side of the water closet wall a removeable
panel?

Interesting point. I could plumb the tub around to where there is
access in front, install the tub, then sweat the final connections
from the front. I guess if it's solid soldered copper all the way
through, it is no different than being in a wall. Hmm. There is the
fixture access leanin over the whole tub issue though.

One other thought, you mentioned this was a "whirlpool" tub right? If so
that involves a pump and electrical equipment. In that case, you are
required by code to have an access panel for the electrical connection and
pump maintenance. Sounds like you're OK with a front access panel, so just
mount everything up front (or on an end you can reach from the front) and
you should be OK.

Anthony