Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
GPE GPE is offline

Default CFL's

"Eeyore" wrote in message

"Mr.T" wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote

You need at least a 23W CFL to match the output of a 100W incandescent.

Ony for a good one at the start of it's life. They get even dimmer with
use
though.

The table here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescent_lamp#Power

Shows a 100W incandescent providing 1700 lumens.

In comparison some new CFLs I have claim only 1100 lumens for an 18W
and
1200 lumens for a 20W.

The 11W CFLs claim 600 lumens and that makes them only slightly
brighter
than a standard 40W bulb instead of equivalent to a 60W as claimed.

I do wish they wouldn't make these silly claims for them.

Me too, and those equally silly 8,000 hour claims.

I haven't been counting the precise hours but the ones I've had have
lasted a
long, long time.

Graham

I've had ones that I counted the lifespan in seconds. Burned out before I
got off the ladder when replacing them....

-- Ed