Posted to alt.electronics
Tony P Tony P is offline

Default DC current

Thank you John I will try this.

"John Fields" wrote in message
On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 18:03:38 GMT, "Tony P"
wrote:

I want to check the current that my car is using whilst at rest (brand new
battery goes flat over two days).
Will a multimeter be of use and if so what range would I need to use?

Battery is 55ah

---
Two days is 48 hours, so if your battery's rated for 55AH and it
goes flat over that time, it's probably delivering an amp or so to
the load.

You could use a multimeter to make the measurement, but use the
highest range you have available. For cheap multimeters that's
usually 10 or 20 amps, DC.

What you'll need to do is make sure the ignition and accessories are
all off, (including the interior lights, and also unplug anything
you may have plugged into the cigarette lighter socket) then
disconnect one of the battery terminals from the battery and connect
the ammeter between the battery and the disconnected terminal.

The meter will then display whatever current the battery is
delivering.

--
JF