Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default What to put under swingset (sofplay?/rubber/chips)

"Donna" wrote in message
news7Lhi.4423$bh5.120@trndny01...

We just have turf under our swingset. It works fine.

Donna

Can you tell me which turf you used? I, too, am looking at putting
turf under my swingset.

No idea. It sort of came with the house.

I think you are over-planning this. Unless you are setting up your play
area over a cement pad, or the children's parents are highly litigious,
you really don't need anything under the swingset other than dirt and
grass. Really.

Chuckle. Amen, Sister! When I was a wee one, if the ruts under the swingset
got too hard, or too muddy, we'd just yank the thing out of the ground and
move it over a few feet. Posthole digger made short work of creating new
pockets to drop the legs into, if the ground was too hard to simply push the
tubes or pipes in. Even at the public park, on the big-ass swingsets, it was
(and AFAIK, still is) plain old dirt and grass underneath. In grade school,
the jungle gym had ASPHALT under it.

I never saw any of those 'safety' ground covers until the late 70s, after a
few schools or cities got sued because the little darlings got scuffed up.
Hell, I was in high school in the early 70s, before the parks and schools
all switched to the sling-style 'safety seats' on the swings, that held your
butt more tightly.

Yes, you should teach kids to 'play nice', and crowded playgrounds should
have parents or school staff monitoring to give a time-out to kids that get
hyper-aggressive or start feeling immortal. But kids on playgrounds ARE
gonna get scuffed up once in a while. It is part of being a kid, and 99.99%
of the time, is no big deal. A couple of scraped knees is a real good way to
learn that jumping off the swing at the high point isn't a good idea. Unless
the kid has unusual medical conditions like brittle bones or something,
common-sense precautions (no pieces of pipe sticking out of ground, or sharp
corners on equipment, etc.) are all that is called for, IMHO.

aem sends...