Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default outdoor sink for kids

"EXT" wrote in message
anews.com...
Your biggest problem will be drainage. Where to dump the water from the
drain. If you dump it on the ground you are going to create a big mud
puddle. Think of where the water can run to without spreading across the
ground.

The "outdoor" sink is standard at camp grounds and such.

The solution is to create a good sized "dry well" to receive the water.
The cheap way of doing this is to just size a BIG hole where the sink will
end up and fill it with 3/4" stones. The sink drain will barely extend to
below the surface so that the kids dont' get splashed. The foot valve is a
good idea. The gravel surface will keep the area around the sink from
becoming a mud pit.

"Pat" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Jun 28, 12:51 pm, wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions.

My wife runs a pre-school from our house. I am going to put in a sink
somewhere in the yard so the kids can wash up before going in. Here
is what I'm looking for:

1. A sink that can withstand mild weather. (I live in Southern
California so no freezing to worry about.) I was thinking maybe making
a concrete counter top with basin.
2. A faucet that shuts itself off. (Runs for about 5 minutes and shuts
off. The ones in public restrooms where you have to hold the button
down with one hand and wash the other then reverse wouldn't work for
the kids)
3. I need to build it into a sink base, so it can be leaned on etc.
The "hook to your garden hose" sinks are not what I'm looking for.
HEAVY Duty.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

If I was going it, I'd use a regular stainless steel sink and install
a footvalve. I would operate as long as the kid was there and then
shut off when the kid left (as long as he didn't put a rock on it or
something). Then you could either wall mount it or build whatever you
want.

You could even install the foot valve and then run the water through
some sort of a gargoil as a cool feature for the kids.

Google for foot valve sink or something like that.

Here are some of the results:

http://www.hubert.com/store/p-detail...&src=froogl e
http://www.stepflow.com/
http://www.faucetfootvalve.com

In theory you should be collecting the drainage and putting it into
the sewer system. If you choose to do so (and you will if you get a
permit), that might impact where you put the gargoil ... I mean sink.