Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave Sacramento Dave is offline

Default Drywall blues

"Laurie" wrote in message
I am redoing the gameroom as a bedroom for my son now that the pool table's
been sold. I'm removing the awful wallpaper to paint, and have discovered
it is wallpaper over smooth plaster over textured plaster over drywall, but
hey, at least it's only 1 layer of wp. Pulling off the paper has pulled off
some of the smooth plaster, and we're going to have to steam off the rest
of the paper - don't know if that'll affect the plaster or not.

We've discovered some drywall cracks, plus my kid put his forearm through
one wall playing ninja warrior and indented the drywall with what looks
like bouncing a golf ball off of it (you know, the stuff that "Idunno"
does?), so I've got some repairs/replacements to make. This whole house
had foundation work done years ago and last summer a SE said it was
holding, so these are older cracks hidden by the wallpaper.

Q1 - there are some cracks over the doorways: must that drywall be cut
out and replaced or is there anything effective that will work on approx
8" long 1/8 - 1/16" crack between the doorframe and crown molding? I used
some flexible rubbery like spray coating several years ago to finish
cracks along a window on a P&B house I sold, but I never saw if it held or
not...

Q2 - there are two corners where there is about 1/8" separation between
the two walls the entire height of the wall. How would I best deal with
that?

Q2 - Can I just retexture over the smooth plaster spread over the textured
drywall or is there some reason a 3rd layer could be a problem? I intend
to paint whenever we're done with this mess.

TIA - Laurie

Save yourself some time call a drywall contractor that dose repairs and
retextures it's hard to give good advice without seeing it. When I removed
the wallpaper in two bathrooms and a bedroom it tore the walls up pretty bad
.. I know on some small cracks I used caulking not sheetrock mud the
caulking if flexible