Posted to alt.home.repair
Nancy Young Nancy Young is offline

Default Why is there "paper" under 12" tile squares.

"HeyBub" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:
"John Gilmer" wrote

Yesterday, we pulled the 12" square tile squares off a bathroom
floor. We
have owned the place for almost 20 year but we don't know how much
longer than that the tile was in place.

Anyway, it seems that these is "paper" between the tiles and the
sub-floor.

Maybe they were peel and stick tiles.

No-peel and stick?

That's what I was thinking, I guess some kind of glue would stick
to that paper backing and hold the squares down. Interesting.

I lined my kitchen cabinets with those and I didn't peel the backing
off because I didn't want them sticking, but I'm not walking around
in my cabinets. I had to cut around the edges because the paper
extends past the tile, so if that's what someone did in the OP's place,
it wasn't by accident.

At any rate, I think I misunderstood the original question.

nancy