Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Mike Reed Mike Reed is offline

Default Plumbing access through top of tub surround?

On Jun 29, 9:15 pm, "Chip Buchholtz" wrote:
In rec.woodworking Mike Reed wrote:
: SWMBO wants the fixtures on the middle (exterior) wall, and I'm trying
: to decide if it's even possible with a topside plumbing access. Not
: only would it have to be large enough to facilitate installation and
: potentially repair, it would also still need to seal.

What's underneath the bathroom? Can you access the plumbing from
underneath?

--- Chip

Thanks for the replies so far.

The family room is underneath, no way for access.

What do you think about access from above? (through the wood) I can't
think of anything that would work well and still look right. Panels to
the sides of the fixtures, with the fixtures on a separate panel would
have seams that would need to be sealed (near the fixtures and near
the walls). The center (fixture) panel would need extra support
beneath. On top of that, the access panels on either side would need
some way to pull on them or unscrew them - I dunno if caulking them in
place would be adequate.

Access from outside may just be risky from a time standpoint. If it
starts leaking or we need access for some reason, gotta climb a 20'
ladder to deal with it.

I was hoping there was some slick trick for this that I just hadn't
seen.

To answer other posts above: we're in Austin, TX, and the pipes would
not be inside the wall. And, yes, I am talking about the trim that
goes on top of the tub, into the tile. I guess normally the tile is
called the surround

Thanks,
Mike