Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

wrote in message
oups.com...
On 29 Jun, 00:14, "Tam/WB2TT" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Its a known deal that 240v is safer than 120 for 2 main reasons.
1. The main killer is not electrocution, it is fire.

That is a sociologic/economic. not technical issue.

I dont see how. Cooking fire risks certainly differ by socio-economic
group, but I dont think electrical fire risks vary much. Things are
perhaps different in the US.

2. 240v gives much better discrimination between normal and fault
loads. IOW faults have less chance of tripping a breaker in time on
120v circuits.

I don't know what your load is. The US load per branch circuit is 1800 W,
before the circuit breaker in the box will trip. I think a GFI will trip
at
10 microamps.

20mA is the typical figure for our standard 30mA RCDs, but most fire
causing faults are not detected by RCD, and most properties dont have
an RCD.

But that is a separate issue to fault current discriminaiton.

GFCIs have been mandatory here for decades on any receptacle located
outdoors or within a certain distance of water, such as in kitchens and
bathrooms. Modern code is now requiring arc fault interruptors in bedrooms,
and eventually everywhere.