Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Henry St.Pierre Henry St.Pierre is offline

Default Native Timber Selection

"TonyM" tonym.le"at"comcast.net wrote in
:

Figure not included. :-) In our club we have one turner who likes
oak, none of the others will touch the stuff. With all of the oak we
have here in PA I have seen only about 20 turnings (out of 100's if
not 1000's) made from oak. I've turned about 150 species of wood into
spheres but never tried to make a bowl out of oak, why work a
difficult wood when there are so many others to choose from.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")

Tony,
I've turned quite a bit of white oak; mostly mallets, tool handles,
reproduction spindles etc. I never really thought about turning a bowl of
oak. All of the oak I've turned was well dried. It wasn't the easiest wood
to turn, but I didn't find it that troublesome. It liked sharp tools and a
patient touch.

Hank