Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Chieh Cheng Chieh Cheng is offline

Default Is this type of fan appropriate under roof vents in ceiling?

On Jun 29, 3:12 am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Chieh Cheng" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jun 26, 2:59 pm, Chieh Cheng wrote:
I have looked into the packaging of one of these fans at HomeDepot.

Its
just a 15"! (x6"?) circular shroud, and it is to be mounted anywhere-

theres
no flush mounting or anything, just some metal clips. The pic in the

manual
shows it mounted so it is blowing Horizontally - out of a louver vent
mounted on the front of an "attic" - above the ceiling & below the

roof, at
the front of the pictured house.

I bought three 20" temperature controlled box fans ($20 each). Mounted
one over the louver vent on the front side of the garage. Mounted the
other two on the louver vents on one side of the house. The blow hot
air out, and hopefully sucks cold air into the attic from the other
sides of the house. So far it seems to work quite well. Way more
energy efficient that using the AC all the time. See my more detailed

write-up:http://www.gearhack.com/Forums/Displ...le=Home/Coolin
g_...

Oh, one more thing. I forgot to mention that if you are going to put
in a whole house fan, then you probably don't need powered fans in the
attic. The whole house fan will create positive pressure in the attic,
forcing air out the vents. It would create negative pressure in the
living space to draw air in. You just want to make sure to keep all of
these passages open when you turn your whole house fan on.

Chieh

I read your forum about the fans that you installed in your attic. Those
fans appear to be portable household fans. You didn't give any specifics as
to how you installed them, however I suspect that they are not approved for
the purpose that you are using them for. You should have used gable fans
that were designed and are approved for removing air through the attic
vents. I hope that you didn't use extension cords to wire these units.

Thanks. I read your post and responded to it.

Chieh