Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Removing old rainbird

Dave-s wrote:
Hi,
I have an old Rainbird Sprinkler head on a galvanized pipe. Both
the are 50 years old. Cannot determine model number. Sprinkler
still works but may have weak springs.

My question is about removing the sprinkler head from the galvanized
pipe. Does the rainbird unscrew counter clockwise or clockwise?
I've been spraying chainsaw penetrating oil in the copper galvanized
joint for days and it won't loosen.

Copper galvanized???????
___________

What else can I do to remove that sprinkler without damaging the
rainbird or pipe and threads? Is there a better penetrating product?

1. Beat on it with a hammer to loosen up the rust. Note: "beat" is
relative..."vigorous & frequent tapping" might be a better
description. Like you would do with a chipping hammer.

2. Alternate heating and cooling (torch and ice) might help break it
loose too.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...