Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

On Jun 27, 2:26 pm, "N Cook" wrote:

The USA cannot have the equivalent of RoSPA (Royal Society for the
Prevention of Accidents)

We have the NEC, ANSI (and NFPA) and NEMA. That is:

National Electrical Code

American National Standards Institute

National Fire Protection Association

National Electrical Standards Association

They all have jurisdiction over the way things-electrical are
represented, sold, wired and fused. We have a National testing
organization - Underwriter's Laboratory, AKA UL that puts labels on
entire assemblies (UL) or parts that go into them (UR), and works
closely with Canada in the same way with similar alphabet soup.

Our receptacles have very narrow slots with the conductors held back
from the front. Not at all to say that accidents don't happen, but it
is not so easy as with the honking-large slots on Brit receptacles so,
putting little shutters on them is a good idea.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA