Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
DJ Delorie DJ Delorie is offline

Default Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

" writes:
With no plug, or no cord at all? Those are two entirely different
things. The former is illegal, the latter quite common. With the
latter, there will be a note: Professional Installation Only or words
to that effect.

I've seen both "cord with no plug" and "no cord at all". The reason
is usually that the tool can be internally wired for either 120v or
240v, and which you choose determines which plug you must install.

I'm not talking about hand tools, I'm talking about big cast iron
tools like table saws and jointers.