Posted to uk.d-i-y
:Jerry: :Jerry: is offline

Default Mac Disaster

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On 2007-06-29 16:22:39 +0100, ":Jerry:"
said:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:

Isn't that the point here, whilst all groups benefit from having
semi-pro and fully pro people from the trades, what is often
forgotten by those same people is that they might in a month use
tool more than an average DIYer does in a year - IOW if the DIYer
is going to build their own house than the expense of buying pro
tools makes sense how ever you look at it but for someone who
just
does the odd DIY job around it doesn't, the price certainly
reflects the build quality but not always the accuracy during the
tools designed life span (which will be measured in operating
hours).

This would be true if "DIYers" as a class only wanted something
that
will get the job done as cheaply as possible and don't care what
the
quality of the results or the experience of use are like. While in
some cases this may be true, in many it is not.

With respect, in this day and age of people knowing the cost of
everything but the value of nothing, I would suggest that your
comment
is a*se about t*t - you have the words 'some' and 'many'
transcribed!

I agree with John. DIY does not equate to cheap.

But then niether of you are what most would call 'the average DIYer',
if the average DIYer only bought "the best" places like B&Q would not
offer lines that don't sell, but what do we find stocked - plenty of
cheap (some would say) crap but the more expencive (and some would
say) better tools are noticeable by their absence - go into a true
trade outlet and the opposite is the case...

My point is, people buy the best tool for what they will be *doing*,
not simply the tool with the best build quality. There is little point
in someone who is only ever going to put up the odd shelf in buying a
DaWalt drill, OTOH their is little point in someone who is
(re)building their own house buying a 19.99 ukp own brand special. The
problems occurs when people buy on price rather than on what the tool
will be asked to do, on the one hand they have expensive tools that
get under used and last until the cows come home (no real problem with
that, assuming that they haven't mortgaged the kids to buy the
tools...), but on the other hand we get people buying the cheapest and
then knackering the tool within a couple of months after having used
them constantly 12+ hrs a day - it's these people who then claim that
the tool is crap and should never be on sale!

As for the OP's problem, I've known 20k motor cars that have had a
failed bearing within the warranty period, faulty bearings can be
installed in anything - sounds to me that it missed the lubrication
prior to being sealed...