Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,scot.legal,scot.general
John Nagelson John Nagelson is offline

Default DIY conveyancing in Scotland?

On Jun 29, 5:04 pm, " wrote:
On 29 Jun, 12:48, John Nagelson wrote:

Am I right to think that DIY conveyancingis legal in Scotland?

I.e. that the buyer or seller of a house can act in person.

And would e.g. a seller's solicitor be guilty of obstruction if they
refused to deal with a buyer who was acting in person?

Not wishing to sound negative here, but if you don't know the answer
that basic question, would you trust your knowledge of the law enough
to do the conveyancing? There's an awful lot at risk if you screw up
- seems wiser to spend the 500 quid on a lawyer to me...

I'm not planning to buy anything, but you are quite right - I
personally don't at
present know how to do it in Scotland (although I have done it in
England several times).

I'd agree that anyone doing it should be damn sure they know what
they're doing.

It just came up in a discussion.

John