Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Scratch Ankle Scratch Ankle is offline

Default Native Timber Selection

"Toller" wrote in message

Interesting that everyone hates it.
I have only done three pieces of oak (one red and two white), but they cut
easily with no tear out at all. Maybe I should quit while I am ahead.

That's been my experience. I haven't done much in oak. I'm pretty new to
this and most of my actual attempts at making something has been redbud
simply because I had to cut one down so I had a free supply. But I have had
some scraps of oak around from some other projects and it seemed to work
quite nicely although I haven't done anything much. Just stuff like hair
sticks and the like. I haven't messed with end grain on any of those
attempts that I recall since my scraps aren't that big. I do a lot of
scroll saw work so a 3"x3" piece of wood is NOT scrap.