Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Phillips John Phillips is offline

Default yale eurocylinder, inner key blocks use of outer key

On 2007-06-29, Lurch wrote:
On 29 Jun 2007 00:22:36 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) mused:
I can confirm the cylinder must not protrude (at least on the
secured side, the side with the handle without screw fixings,
i.e. the outside). Sorry I'm not going to explain why.

One web-site (part of a commercial site selling such cylinders) suggests
0 - 2 mm protrusion on the secured side and 5 mm or so on the other.

I have also seen euro lock cylinders with a built-in breaking point to
defeat the "usual" mechanical attack.

Can still be opened in under 20 seconds though.

As one data point, I lost my keys and called in a national chain
locksmith. This was a 5-pin euro-profile cylinder.

He first tried a very noisy electrical lock picker which inserts some
kind of blade into the cylinder and then seems to manipulate the pins
rapidly. It failed to open the lock after about two minutes of trying.

However, I assume he was expecting this to work rapidly.

Then he asked if he could drill it. This was actually much quieter and
succeeded in less than 60 seconds. I am sure this would not have been
noticed even at night.

Just how secure is "secure enough" and what do you do to achieve it?

--
John Phillips