Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

Eeyore wrote:

I'd like to see some supporting data for that litle outburst.

As late as the 1960's London had FOUR different electrical systems with
different voltages and plugs. As late as 1989 I bought a clock radio
in London that did not have a plug on it. You had to buy one that
matched your outlets.

As lightbulbs were mostly the same size around the world a friend of
mine who traveled, carried an adapator that screwed into a lamp
socket and had a standard U.S. outlet instead of the bulb.

I have one that is like that but it has another lamp socket
on the top and two "euro" two pin outlets. I assume that they
are highly illegal in the U.K. now.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/