Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] dom@gglz.com is offline

Default Mac Disaster

I use a mix of Makita and Hitachi big circular saws. Haven't bust the
Makitas yet, I'm forever having to dismantle almost all of the
Hitachis to bend the damned splitters straight again.

I used to like Skil, until they went rubbish a couple of years ago.

You say splitter rather than riving knife - are you talking about Skil
in the US market?

My experience of Skil has been ok. I used to have a 10 year old
compact 160mm Skil CC I used for panels, and bought a Skil Orca about
2 years ago (same product with updates still available).

The older one had a nicer cast aluminium base plate, but otherwise
very similar build quality.

The Orca certainly hasn't been treated gently - lots of deep ripping
in green oak.

If I was spending my money again, I might scrape together the (quite a
bit of) extra cash required for festool or maffel - for those jobs
where really high quality accurate cuts are required but the job is
fixed or too big or too awkward for a tablesaw.