Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
krw krw is offline

Default Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

In article ,
says...
(Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote in
:

Cut me a break. Since around 1960 all of the outlets in the U.S. have
grounds.

In new installations maybe. There are still many hundreds of thousands of
two prong recepticals still installed, or incorectly refitted to three
prong recepticals.

Two-prong receptacles may be replaced by three-prong as long as there
is a GFCI on the circuit. It's common to replace the first outlet on
the chain with a GFCI outlet. The grounds don't have to be
connected, but according to code it has to be marked as ungrounded.
I agree that many are incorrectly retrofitted (no GFCI).

--
Keith