Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Old guy Old guy is offline

Default Sugar cured wood?

I had some tree trimming done, and tried to wheedle the trimmer into letting
me know if he ran into some good turning wood. He looked over my shop, and
asked about how I dried my bowls. After I explained about rough turning wet,
allowing to dry to moisture equilibrium and letting it dry, he told me the
method he used when he was cutting flat slabs to use for presentation
plaques.

Soak the wood for two weeks in a sugar water solution, then dry slowly.

Now if he can dry cross-cut slabs (which include pith) that way, it should
be something.

I'm a gonna try it.

Anybody reading this done it before?

Old Guy