Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Native Timber Selection

wrote in message
ups.com...
Living in the rural midwest I have many oppotunities to collect newly
fallen timber. My question is given this selection of timber what's my
best selection and what should I just stay away from. BTW, I'm very
new to turning!

Oak, and there are a _lot_ of different oaks, is a sure seller where I come
from. Unfortunately, it's not common. Got a few useable pieces delivered
with my firewood a few years back, and turned up a bunch of it. Northern
red and regular old white are all I've turned, and it's not particularly
difficult, as long as you realize that it rusts your tools and lathe when
it's green.
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...rofile.jpgOnly wish it weren't so unattractive.