Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default What is it? CLXXVI

"R.H." writes:

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Alexander Thesoso" wrote:
1022 Fireman's axe, hydrant valve wrench.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This could be right, but a couple of things make me wonder: 1.) The
valve stems on all the fire hydrants I have ever seen have five sides, to
keep people from opening them with ordinary wrenches. 2.) Firemen's axes
always have a demolition spike on the head--not a hammer head. 3.) Since
a firemen's axe is used to break into burning buildings, it is much more
aggressive looking: longer handle, handle has non-slip shape at the free
end. This one appears to be wedge-shaped at the end, which is really
puzzling.

Could this be for the kind of fireman who stokes a steam engine firebox?
The square hole might then be for a steam valve.

This tool isn't a fireman's axe, note the blade is not sharp but is actually
blunt, I read somewhere that it was manufactured that way. I know who would
use this hatchet, but I'm still researching to find out exactly what the
wrench was for and why the blade is dull.

Correct answers so far:

1020. Sundial that fires the cannon at noon

1021. Saw file guide

1024. Precision laboratory resistor or shunt

I've had a lot of guesses on the brass cylinders, most popular a
-for holding small parts
-a wire or string goes through the slots and the end is screwed down, but
for what exact purpose...
-used as legs for surveyors equipment or something similar

A few comments on them:
There is not really any visible wear and the numbers on the ends are hard to
read without a magnifying glass.
Someone found them in a machinist's toolbox.
The ends that slide into the cylinders are all a good tight fit.

I have feeling that this one might be unsolved for a while.

I suppose they could be machinist try-pieces.

scott