Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CRT TVs

On Jun 28, 9:39 am, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:07:17 -0000, wrote:
On Jun 27, 10:24 pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:37:14 -0000, wrote:
On Jun 27, 2:10 pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:50:55 -0400, George
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 00:37:43 -0000, wrote:

[snip]

Damned if I know how you can claim "everyone is better off in the end".

Yes, some will be worse off, but not by much. There is a small
minority that receive NTSC today over the air and don't accept the
value proposition of having an HD picture that puts to shame what they
are watching now,

Strangely, I find the difference (HD resolution compared to 480 lines)
to be nearly insignificant. There is a considerable difference, but
most of that is in ATSC, rather than HD.

Because everyone seems to confuse what is happening.

That's happening a lot. There's a lot of (wrong) claims that NTSC
won't exist after 2009. I expect an eventual lack of NTSC, but it will
take a lot longer than that.

Well the "claims" are based directly on the federal govt which has set
2009 as the turnoff date for NTSC.

That is not true, as has already been posted here a few times. The law
applies to OTA BROADCASTING, not the video format itself. Other uses
of NTSC, such as cable and security cameras are not affected.

When someone says "turnoff date for NTSC is 2009", I think it's clear
that they mean OTA broadcasting of NTSC,

I read what people actually write.

ie, the transmitter is being
turned off. We all know the FCC isn't gonna come into your house
and turn off the NTSC output from your VCR or security camera. If
you're going to state that the claim is false, then you should be
specific about what exactly you are disagreeing with. Your initial
statement that the claims are false, with no explanation, would lead
people to believe that nothing is being turned off.

So, you read things, make up stuff, and blame the writer. I never said
"nothing is being turned off". That is a creation of your imagination.

I didn't make up anything. In a discussion in the context of
converting to ASTC, HD, etc, you posted:

"There's a lot of (wrong) claims that NTSC
won't exist after 2009. I expect an eventual lack of NTSC, but it
will
take a lot longer than that. "

Now do you think that lent clarity to the discussion? If you wanted
to clarify what is going on, you could instead have simply said the
2009 date applies to broadcast NTSC, which won't exist after 2009.
That is what the general discussion has been about in this thread,
moving from NTSC to ATSC and HD, and some folks complaining because
they will need a DTV converter box for OTA after NTSC is turned off in
2009. Everybody knows it's silly to think that in Feb 2009 the
FCC is gonna come turn off your VCR output or your security camera
that is still NTSC . Your post left the impression that talk about
2009 is all based on false claim. In fact, your whole reply actually
makes little sense, because NTSC will of course exist in some form not
just a lot longer, but indefinitely, if you want to extend the
discussion to all the consumer electronics, VCR tapes, DVD;s etc that
are NTSC compatible. They aren't going to vanish.

And where are these false claims that anything other than NTSC OTA is
going to vanish? If you keep in context the discussion, I don't see
any such claims have been made here.