Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Soundproofing traffic noise

In article ,
Meat Plow wrote:

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:21:56 -0600, Bob M. wrote:

wrote in message
I'm looking for anyone with experience solving a soundproofing issue.
I have the privilege of owing a nice condo at a beach resort, but I
really don't sleep well there due to the constant traffic noise. The
condo is about 30 yards from the costal highway and it can get quite
loud. Apparently it's very cool to alter your truck's exhaust system
and rev the engine at 2:00 am. Are guys modifying the motorcycle
exhaust systems too?

Call the cops about that. There are noise laws that will deal with that
problem. No amount of insulation, new doors or new whatever will fix that.

As for the doors, don't get aluminum framed anything. I'd also vote for
french doors rather than sliding doors. Why? The french doors pull in and
seal against something. the top & bottom edge of the sliding doors don't
push against anything to seal; they rely on fabric weatherstrips that wear
out & let sound in. French doors are probably more thug-resistant too;
it's
pretty easy to take a sliding door out of it's track from the outside (lift
it up, unless something's in the top track to prevent that) and of course
can be forced open.

I just put in a sliding glass patio door at my girl's house and you're
right, that whole sliding panel will pop out with just a small prybar. I
didn't tell her that, don't want her to have nightmares.

That's funny, I just fixed the rolling glass door at my girl's house,
and found that I had to remove the fixed panel in order to remove the
slider. And the fixed panel is bolted to the frame from inside. But, as
mentioned, a couple of screws inside the track at the top will secure
sliding doors and sliding windows, too.