Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Tam/WB2TT Tam/WB2TT is offline

Default Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

"Charlie Edmondson" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

You're not saying there is 100 year old wiring still in use?

No, he IS saying it is in use. Some of it has been replaced, but not
all of it.

I'm amazed. It presumably has some form of rubber insulation which will
have crumbled away years ago.

More likely cloth, not rubber...

Charlie

As late as about 1980, my father in law's house still had some original ca
1906 wiring. It was cloth over rubber, like telephone wire. In fact, it
probably was. Part of the house had been rewired so you could use a hair
dryer or clothes iron. Fuses were short pieces of bare small gage wire
between two terminals. You had to turn off the main power switch (It had a
big handle) to change a "fuse". I hope the new owner did some electrical
work.

Tam