Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

" wrote:
De gustibus non est disputandum. Electricity has been working for us
over here a good deal longer than it has been working for you over
there. The typical poor-man's rowhouse (900 sf, 100 sm) in
Philadelphia has been wired since 1913. Parts of NYC have been wired
since the late 1800s...

My "rich man's" rowhouse built in 1916 in Philly, which was quite deteriorated
by 1975 when I moved in had a meterboard marked "Philadelphia Electric
Company 1925" on it. I call it a "rich man's" house because it
was 1200 square feet, had a basement, hardwood floors and
some expensive (at the time) finishing touches.

When I moved in it had 25 amp 240 volt service with a four circuit fuse box.
I upgraded it to a 16 circuit fusebox and later had the whole thing replaced
with 200 amp service.

To follow the Philly theme, Willingboro, New Jersey (originaly Levittown)
houses were wired with aluminum wire because of a copper miner's stike in
South America. By the 1970's the wires broke inside the walls, arced over
and caught fire.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/