Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim W Tim W is offline

Default wood stick resisting snapping

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article , "torge conrad
maguar" wrote:
Novice has been asked to make a wooden stick for using in feet Reflexology
treatment. Basically its like a very fat tube shaped pen (about 15mm dia
and 150mm long) with a shaped end. But it could be put under quite a bit
of pressure,
sideways.

So what would be a good wood to use, that is not so likely to snap in half
and would also be fairly readily available in north london u.k. Thanks

standpoint: it takes a considerable force to break a piece of wood 15mm
thick,
and you're just not going to get very much leverage if it's only 150mm
long.

[...]

Your primary consideration should be the type of grain.[...]

This is the correct answer. The strength is not going to be an issue.

If it was me I would go to the log store and split a few dry logs into
sticks until I found a nice piece, needn't be totally straight, and whittle
and scrape until I was pleased.

Tim W